The VGH Thrift Store is a non-profit organization. Our goal is to run an efficient and fiscally responsible operation so that funds raised can benefit patients and residents in Vancouver General Hospital.
Our mission is:
- To operate a thrift store with funds raised being used to provide financial assistance to volunteer programs and patient care areas in Vancouver Coastal Health’s directly funded Vancouver facilities.
- To provide the opportunity for health care clients to volunteer in a supportive environment
- To provide free, clean, new clothing to Vancouver Coastal Health patients, clients and residents who are in need.
The VGH Thrift Shop Society was formed eight years ago to fund an emergency clothing program managed by the volunteer resources department at Vancouver general Hospital. This program provided clothing at the time of discharge for those individuals in need.
The VGH Thrift Store opened in a small storefront on East Broadway in January 2004. Since then, we have funded the Emergency clothing program and raised additional funds through store operations. The store is staffed primarily by volunteers.
The Society has funded the following projects:
- The Emergency Clothing program
- Capital equipment expenditures for Vancouver General Hospital including shower trolleys for residential care, renovations to the family lounge in the Brief Intervention unit, exam tables and recliner chairs for the Solid Organ Transplant Outpatient and Women’s Clinic, and transport stretchers
- Yearly donations to purchase Christmas presents for residents in a residential care facility and for patients in the VGH psychiatric units